Central government in its union Budget 2018-19 has launched the much awaited National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS). Subsequently, govt. will provide Rs. 5 lakh to each family for secondary and tertiary hospitalization. Accordingly, this mega Health Protection Scheme / Ayushman Bharat Scheme announced in Union Budget 2018-19 will benefit around 10 crore families (50 crore people) across the country.
Ayushman Bharat Programme (NHPS) is the worlds biggest govt. funded health care scheme. Moreover in this Union Budget 2018, govt. has allocated Rs. 48,878 crore for the health-care sector which was 39,879 crore in the previous budget of FY 2017. Central govt. is going to start NHPS Scheme from 15 August 2018 or 2 October 2018. Moreover, the annual premium of Ayushman Bharat Scheme is around Rs. 900 to Rs. 1000 for each family as per the estimates of NITI Aayog. See Ayushman Bharat Yojana List of Beneficiaries
Latest Update – First Health and Wellness Center is opened at Jangla, district Bijapur, Chhattisgarh. See List of Services at health and wellness centres under Ayushman Bharat Yojana 2018 and Fill Ayushman Bharat Yojana 2018 Online Application Form
Central govt. will make NHPS Beneficiaries Selection on the basis of Socio-Economic and Caste Census Data – SECC 2011. Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the launch of this Centrally Sponsored Scheme – Ayushman Bharat on 21 March 2018.
National Health Protection Scheme / Ayushman Bharat
The important features and highlights of this scheme are as follows:-
- Under this scheme, govt. will provide Rs. 5 lakh to each family.
- Subsequently, this mega Universal Health Protection Scheme will benefit 50 crore people across the entire nation.
- Accordingly, people can avail secondary and tertiary treatment in any hospitals using this financial assistance.
- In addition to this, central govt. is going to set-up 1.5 lakh health and wellness centers and community healthcare clinics under Bharat Ayushman Programme. For this programme, govt. will allocate Rs. 1200 crore and will also provide treatment for non-communicable diseases.
- Furthermore, govt. will also focus on including private enterprises to join the programme as a part of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Initiatives.
Need For Ayushman Bharat Scheme
Currently, Central govt. is providing Rs. 50,000 as health insurance coverage for economically weaker sections under Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY). Henceforth, this amount is not sufficient to cover most of the costly medical procedures. Thus, Central govt. will provide additional Rs. 50,000 benefit to senior citizens for investment in mediclaim.
Thus, Central govt. has decided to launch National Health Protection Scheme. Accordingly, this scheme is a path breaking announcement for the health care sector. Ayushman Bharat Programme will enhance the coverage and the amount required per family to avail better medical facilities. Henceforth, this Universal Health Protection Scheme will realize the most important aspect – “Health For All” and progress India in the next generation of social security.
In addition to this, govt. will also spend Rs. 1200 crore for the Ayushman Bharat Programme to set up wellness centers and healthcare clinics. Furthermore, govt. will also spend Rs. 600 crore to provide nutritional support to Tuberclosis patients.
In the Union Budget 2018-19, central govt. has also announced Gobar Dhan Scheme. To see the details – Click here